Township: Heylipol,Moss

Map Reference: Moss 3

Name Type: building

Meaning: The (Big) Church at Moss

Other Forms: Heylipol Church

Eaglais Mhòr na Mòinteach - SMcK

Related Places:

Information:The whole of the west end of Tiree goes under the name of Heylipol Parish, although the parish church is on the Barrapol common - Bailtean is Ath-Ghairmean, Niall M Brownlie, Argyll Publishing, 1995, p102.

They used to hold cattle sales next to this church - Archie Kennedy, Crossapol, 12/1993 and Sandy MacKinnon, Crossapol, 2/1994.

The new church was built in 1902 - DK.

The new church was built on the site of the old church. His grandfather, Iain a' Ghobhainnn, was buried in Soroby (the second on the right as you go in the gate of the old churchyard) with a stone from the old church at his head and feet - Sandy MacKinnon, Crossapol, 2/1994.

After the stone was split, the drill holes would be visible in the cut face, and a stonemason that knew his job would clean these marks away with another blunt chisel in a process called a crùradh. He would turn the chisel around every few blows to keep it sharp. A Mull man was taken to see the new Heylipol church when it opened in 1902. “Cha robh a’ chlach sin air a chrùradh” he told his companions from West Hynish – some of the stones hadn’t been properly dressed. One of the stones in the church "is the wrong way round." Lachie Campbell, Crossapol, 8/2012.

Local Form:

Languages : Gaelic

Informants: multiple

Informant 2: Donald Kennedy, Port Ban, 1/1994

Informant 3: Sandy MacKinnon (Sandaidh Ghobhainn), Kilkenneth, 2/1996