Township: Ruaig,Ruaig

Map Reference: Ruaig 76

Name Type: sub-township

Meaning: There are two often-quoted folk etymologies. In the first, when east coast fishermen came to Tiree in the mid-nineteenth century some stayed in this hamlet and called the area after the Gaelic name for Fraserburgh, A' Bhruaich (Duncan Grant, Ruaig, 4/2015, oral source); Fraserburgh is still known in the northeast as 'The Broch'. This derivation does not explain the plosive terminal /k/. In the second, the name derives from Brock Township in Ontario, Canada, an early settlement destination in the first half of the nineteenth century: 'Tiree emigrants first made their appearance in Brock Township during the 1820s.' (Campey 2005, 101) This Brock, surveyed first in 1817, was named after Major General Sir Isaac Brock, who died nearby fighting the American army at the Battle of Queenston Heights in 1812.
However, the Tiree Brock is convincingly a Norse name: 'Brokk or brokke is a south Norwegian side-form for breck, [which comes from] ON brekka [dative brekku] 'slope'.' (Berit Sandnes, pers. comm.)
Cox derives Cliasproc on Lewis derives from brokka (Cox 2002, 213); there are three examples of Brockan in Orkney (SP); there are two examples of Brokke and one of Brokken in Norway (NG); Brokke in southern Norway derives from brokke (NS); Breck occurs seventeen times in Orkney (SP); Brekke and Brekken are common farm names in Norway (OR); and Brekka occurs twenty-one times as a farm name in Iceland (SAM).

Other Forms: Brock - ONB p133, dated 1878, "applies to a few houses [with two small crossed out] situated at the east end of Traigh Mhor"

Related Places:

Information:His great grandfather was moved from Skipinnish and went first to Tràigh Chrìonaig and then to Brock. There were only two houses there at the time. There was another house nearer the shore which was washed away by the storm that destroyed the Tay Bridge (28th December 1879). The cat was found the next day on top of the chimney - Alasdair Sinclair, Brock, 11/1996.

His family's house by the shore in Brock was destroyed the night of the Tay Bridge Disaster. The sea reached the bottom of the Ùtraid, and a barrel from the manse in Gott flew over their heads. When they came back the next day the cat had survived and was perched on the surviving chimney - Duncan Grant, Ruaig, 1/1998.
"Roinn 's a' Bhoddam, pairt 's a Bhrock dhiu," "Tha iasgairean bho'n aird-a-tuath 's a' Bhruaich so mar rium fein;" - Na Baird Thirisdeach, ed. Rev Hector Cameron, An Comunn Thirisdeach, 1932, p219, by the Rev John MacDougall who died in 1875.

Local Form:

Languages : Gaelic, English

Informants: multiple