Township: Middleton

Map Reference: Middleton 300

Name Type: township

Meaning: Middletown, between Barrapol and Sandaig.

This is invariably derived as ScG Am Baile Meadhanach ‘the middle township’, situated between Barrapol and Greenhill. The English translation name Middleton probably appeared after the ‘Glassary’ iodine works was built here in 1863 by the English-speaking chemist Edward Stanford. ScG manach ‘monk’ > Bail’ a’ Mhanaich (Balivanich on South Uist).
As a Gaelic coinage Am Baile Meadhanach is uncommon, with the only example collected by the OS Bailemeanach in Portee (SP). Middleton is extremely common.

Other Forms: Balmeanach - The map MVLA INSVLA in the Atlas of Scotland, Atlas Novus, by Joan Blaeu, 1654. These maps were largely based on work by Timothy Pont who mapped Scotland between 1583 and 1596. NLS, 123.

Balimeanach - 1679, ICA Bundle 472/194.

Balimeanoch - Tiree Rental 1747.

Balmenoch - The Turnbull Map of Tiree 1768 and accompanying survey text.

Balemeanoch - List of Inhabitants of Tiree 1776

Ballimianach - Typed List of Inhabitants of Tyree and their Age in September 1779.
Taken from an unknown publication, 1998.201.1

Balemeanoch (1785) - Argyll Estate Instructions, ed. Eric Cregeen, Scottish History Society, 1964

ONB p. 191 gives Middleton.


The English form probably dates from the building of the Glassary seaweed factory.

Related Places:

Information:

Local Form:

Languages : Gaelic, English

Informants: OS