Township: Hough,Hough,Kilkenneth,Middleton

Map Reference:

Name Type:

Meaning: ‘The settlement of Killyne is no longer extant, but due to its high evaluation of six merklands in 1541, it can be assumed to have been a large primary unit and one subsequently divided into four component parts’ (Johnston 1991, 98). The first record of Kilkenneth as a settlement appears in 1509 as Kilquhynich. In 1541 Killyne appears but Kilkenneth is not recorded. The only time they both appear as Kilcannich and Kylline is in 1674, when Kerremeanach and Keranokile are also listed. By 1747 Killyne has disappeared, its place seemingly taken by Kerahusager, Kerachrosgar, Kerameanoch, Keratrinvoir and Keranokile (see (Johnston 1991, 98).
This is ScG cill ‘chapel’ + unknown dedication. There is a Killean in Torosay, Mull, derived from St John (www.saintsplaces.gla.ac.uk). There is a Cill Eathain (Killeyan) on Islay, which Macniven suggests may come from ‘a dedication to the Biblical Saint John. If this explanation is correct, it is likely to point to a later medieval coinage’ (Macniven 2015, 161). This reconstruction is phonologically unlikely. This name may represent an unknown chapel location, in addition to Cill Choinnich and Cill Tunnain, or a re-dedication of one of these two churches in the late medieval period.

Other Forms:

Related Places: Killyne, 1541 ER 17, 647 (between Murtost and Ballemanach): 6 merklands [Kilkyne, 1541 17, 614 (between Murtoft and Ballemanach)]: see Cill Choinnich below
Killyne, 1542 ER 17, 532 (between Murtost and Ballemanach)
[Hyillen, 1638 RGS, 30 (Mannell, Crossiboill, Hyillen)]: see Hyring below Kylline, 1674 Retours ARG vol. 1, 82 (Colinus Campbell...Manuel, Crossiboill, Kylline)
Kylline, 1674 Retours ARG vol. 1, 86 (Hurnepolff, Kylline et terras de Bee)
No longer known in the oral tradition

Information:Unknown location, presumed in the west end between Hough and Middleton

Local Form:

Languages : Gaelic