Township: Cornaigmore

Map Reference: Cornaigmore 114

Name Type: church

Meaning: Cornaigmore | 'The chapel of Kilbride, dedicated to St Brigid of Mag-Luing, is locally said to have stood in its burial ground on the site of the stackyard of Lag na Cruach ... According to Reeves, 'It is on the north side of the farm of Cornaigmore and human remains which are found here indicate a cemetery where a small chapel is known to have existed, the walls of which were removed to help in building some ancient cabins'. (Reeves 1854) ... the dedication suggests an association with the monastery of Mag-Luinge' (www.canmore.org.uk accessed August 2015; Canmore ID 21444).
One informant reported that, when he was a boy, some graves were open in the stackyard behind the byre (Hector MacPhail, pers. comm.). Hector Cameron wrote: ‘The last burial that took place at Kilbride was that of the grandmother of Iain mac Eachainn, John MacPhail, whose house, until a generation ago, stood the nearest to the south on the east side of the road.’ (MacDougall 1937, 90)
ScG Cill Brìghde, 'the chapel dedicated to Saint Brigid'. Kilbride is a common name on SP.

Other Forms: Kilbride - WR

Related Places:

Information:Some graves were open when he was a boy, in the stackyard behind the byre. His great great great great grandmother, a MacPhail from Druimbuidhe, was the last to be buried in this graveyard - Hector MacPhail, Ruaig, 1/1994 and 11/1995.

Local Form:

Languages : Gaelic

Informants: W. Reeves, Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 2, 1854, p233-244, quoting Langlands' map