Township: Baugh

Map Reference: Baugh 13

Name Type: shore

Meaning: Beveridge’s Aybrich suggests a fricative terminal -g. He reconstructs the name as a ‘bilingual compound meaning ‘the east fort (ear-borg)’’ (Beveridge 1903, 112). The specific is more likely to be ON eið ‘isthmus, neck of land’ (CV, 117). Eið is a relatively uncommon specific in Scotland, as in Aiths Hamar, Aiths Lee and Aithsetter in Shetland (SP); in Norway, as in Eidbakk (NG); and also in Iceland, as in Eiðsstaðir (SAM). This promontory would have been more prominent in medieval times when there was a large estuary at Baugh (see the 1654 Blaeu map). Today it is simply called ScG An Àirde ‘the headland’.

The generic is ON bryggja ‘landing place’
Baugh has three names in -bryggja: Ìbrig, Eibrig and Dusbrig. This may be because the waterway ScG An Fhadhail ‘the ford’ was tidal and probably only navigable at high tide. Eibrig probably referenced the inlet now known as ScG Am Port Mòr ‘the large inlet’.

Other Forms:

Related Places:

Information:

Local Form:

Languages : Norse, Gaelic

Informants: Angus Munn, Heanish