Township: Balephetrish

Map Reference:

Name Type:

Meaning: ‘
Balephetrish | All remains of a building have been lost. The 1st edition of the OS (Argyllshire and Buteshire LXIV.8, 1878) shows only the faint enclosure of the graveyard.

Reeves suggested that the chapel was dedicated to Findchan (Reeves 1854, 240). However, the name is more likely to come from the British sixth-century saint Uinniau (Márkus 2012, 119). Uinniau had come to Ireland from Britain as a pregrinus 'voluntary exile', and became a bishop, possibly training Columba at the monastery of Moville. Unniau, by misreading /u/ for /n/ became Vinnian and thus Finnan. Uinniau was highly influential and was subsequently widely culted as Finnan or Ninian. His Penitentialis Vinniani dealt with how sinners could become absolved 'by penance and by very diligent devotion of heart and body' (Fraser 2009, 74).

There is a St Finnan's Church in Ardnamurchan and a Kilfinan parish in Argyll (SP). See *Kilennan on Islay (Macniven 2006, 390). The graveyard here had the alias Cladh Àirde Chircnis (Angus MacLean, Scarinish, 10/1995: oral source).

Other Forms:

Related Places:

Information:Clearly marked as a burying ground (see Cladh Airde Chircnis) just north of the road and south of Cnoc Chrisnis. There are two rectangular foundations just to the south of the graveyard wall and two round structures. There are some raised stones on the Cnoc which may be the foundations of a wall - JH.

ONB p 58 - "applies to a small piece of green pasture land supposed to be an ancient burying ground. There are no remains in connection that would lead anyone to believe it to have been so."

Local Form:

Languages : Unknown

Informants: OS Ist edition